Wednesday

Initial filming

  • My initial idea was to use a set with lights and a backdrop, to create a series of aesthetically pleasing scenes in different locations and edit them together to form my music video. 
  • The song I have chosen is called 'I Feel Forgotten' and is about a girl fighting for a boys attention. However, I did not want the video to have a narrative story line focusing on this as I wanted my visuals to show female empowerment, which a story matching the lyrics would not have achieved. 
  • Some of the lyrics include "overgrown and rotten" which is repeated throughout the song several times, in the chorus. Plants such as cactus, palm leaves and Aloe Vera are 'trendy' at the moment so I wanted to play with the idea of 'overgrown' plants, so that there is a style relevance in the video. 
  • As seen in my initial story board, I wanted to use a pastel and light colour scheme throughout, using back drops and props. However, I found that the resources and low budget available to me did not suit this style idea that I had planned. I was unable to get hold of back drops which were the colours I had visioned, and when I attempted to use painted walls, I was unable to achieve strong quality footage due to the poor lighting, and out of studio shots.
  • Therefore, I looked at working on a smaller scale. I explored the use of natural lighting, and sheets of coloured paper as a backdrop. I wanted to play with the clapping beat that plays throughout the song, therefore I filmed hands clapping to the beat in front of a sheet of pale blue paper. I set up my Camera on a tripod and placed a lamp shining onto the backdrop and hands. However the Lamp created warm toned lighting which ruined the cool tone pastel aesthetic I wanted to achieve so I did the same set up but did it on a table outside, on a bright day to get natural, cool lighting.
  • I then went onto explore my plants idea using mini cacti in the same set up. I had 6 different cacti in white pots, and I placed them in formations and took still shots each time I moved them, almost creating a stop motion style. My plan was to have the cacti change to the beat of the song, which would support Goodwins theory of Visuals supporting the music.
  • Although the ideas seemed to work well, I am unable to achieve the bright colours which I would have liked to achieve due to lack of equipment and budget. Any footage I got has a very amateur feel to it and I am not pleased with how they had turned out.
  • Therefore, I am going to adjust my ideas and plan to fit with the resources and budget that I have, to hopefully achieve footage which will work better to achieve a psychedelic pop style video.





No comments:

Post a Comment